Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thyroid Update

Blah my thyroid. Who knew that something so little could cause so many problems! I've had a rough time since my last pregnancy getting on the right dose, I've been hyper then hypo and then back again. Silly thyroid needs to get a clue and stop being a drama queen!

I went back to my doctor today, I love her by they way. Maybe even more then the one I had in Dallas (don't get me started on how awful the doctors were in Tampa...I could go on for days). Anyway, she broke it down for me and we discussed my labwork, which again came back not normal. I am overmedicated right now so it's making me hyperthyroid again (how I was when I had Graves). Not fun and it explains a lot about how I have been feeling lately. She wanted to run a few more tests with my blood--luckily labcorp keeps it for 7 days so I didn't have to get poked again. I'm just grateful she is trying so hard to help me figure it out and hopefully I'll be closer to normal soon or if the stars align, finally normal. It's hard when I have to be on a dose of synthroid for 3 months before I can do labs and see how it is. It's making this a slow process for sure. But I'm staying positive and I'm just glad I have a good doctor here.

As far as my eyes go, I do have thyroid eye disease. During my last pregnancy it got really bad, but it has improved some since then. Still not perfect but the double vision and pain in my left eye is not as bad as it was. Apparently when you have Graves Disease, you can treat the thyroid with radio iodine (what I did), but the graves antibodies are still active in your body. And once your thyroid is gone, they for whatever reason sometimes choose to attack your eyes. Lovely. Luckily, my case is pretty mild...it is terrifying to google it and see the extreme cases with bulging eyes etc. My eyes have shifted though and I am getting measurements and tests on them every 3 months to see if I am still in the active moving phase. Once we have confirmed that that phase is over, we can decide on surgery and discuss it more. I try not to think about it because it scares me a little, but as of now it seems as though my left eye is the only one that might need it. Only time will tell :)