Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July 4th Weekend

We had a great 4th of July weekend. We spent lots of time swimming, relaxing, and of course watching fireworks. We went to 2 shows and had better luck with our second time. The first one we ended up sitting too far away so the next night we sat right where they shot them off and they were right over our heads! Brayden had fun singing 'Happy Birthday' to America over and over and over again all weekend. We thought they were gonna cancel the fireworks the first night, but luckily the weather cleared up just in time. It was really nice too because the earlier rain storm had cooled things down a bit so we enjoyed that!
We sat right by the small airport where all the planes and jets took off and landed. The boys loved it and I thought of my dad the whole time. He would have loved it too!
Waiting for the show to start. We didn't realize we were facing the wrong way...haha! We just followed everyone else! Oh well, we saw the show from the car. The boys had fun with the light sticks once it got dark.
And like every good firework show, the traffic to leave was ridiculous so both the kiddos fell asleep as we inched our way out. Fun night though!
We went to a parade which the boys loved. It didn't have much in it but I guess if they throw out candy it's a success to the kids! Playing Go Fish and Old Maid before it started was my favorite part. Brayden would freak out if he had the old maid in his hand and he quickly learned the trick of sticking it up a little higher in his hand of cards so it would get picked! :)
I felt like we needed to do something festive so we made these strawberries that my Aunt Stacy made with us our first 4th here in Texas. You just melt white chocolate chips, dip them in, and then coat the bottom with blue sprinkles. Pretty easy and yummy :) Brayden was a great helper!
Seriously, I love fireworks! They just make me so happy! :) Our second time going made up for our first night since we sat so close. We weren't sure if Ty would love the fireworks or hate them at this age but he LOVED them. He would clap and point the whole time and watched mesmorized. I was happy to find out they do a firework show every friday night over Grapevine lake by us so I think we'll have to head over and watch them again this summer. Hope everyone else had a great 4th! We are so grateful to live in this beautiful country!!!

6 comments:

Jenilee said...

I LOVE the strawberries idea! I'll have to try that next year! What a fun weekend. Happy 4th!!!

Jenna Caldwell said...

Super cute! We had to skip fireworks this year because Eli was just at the wrong age (he wouldn't be able to stay up that late, and the ought of fireworks going off in the middle of your sleep sounds terrifying to me). But we so look forward to next year. Glad to see your boys enjoyed. Your family makes me want to have another boy!!!

Melissa said...

So very fun! I love that Brayden figured out how to get rid of that old maid. LOL! Those strawberries look yummy, we'll have to try to make them next year. Sounds like your 4th was wonderful!

maria said...

happy happy 4th. i just read through your austrailia trip and it was amazing!!! great job blogging about it. your pictures are amazing!and ps...we want to do your strawberries next year too!

C'est La Vie said...

didn't you miss red white and boom?? nothing comes close, huh?

i love love fireworks, we got to go up in the mountains in Park City and watch 3 shows at once, so fun!!

The Hill Tribe said...

Miss you guys so much. Looks like you had a great 4th...we actually saw 2 nights of fireworks this year too...I think it should be a week long celebration...I LOVE FIREWORKS too...